Whether it’s a swim (cold winter plunge or a refreshing summer float) or paddle boarding, I love that there are so many ways to experience the ocean in and near Gibsons. And because I love the forest as much as the water, I really enjoy Gibsons’s great network of trails for running and hiking. And after I’m done with active things, there are so many cideries, breweries and restaurants to refill my tank. Lower Gibsons is also super walkable with a few sweet shops and a public market. Whether I’m huddled around a roaring fire or enjoying peak summer weather, Gibsons is a pretty special place to be.
More from Mallory’s travels
Recommendations from Mallory
- Bed & Beachcomber – This B&B right above a coffee shop is a great location to stay!
- Tapworks – This local brewery has a great burger shack and a fabulous view from the deck upstairs. Good fries and a fantastic kale caesar salad.
- Sushi Bar Nagomi – A lovely couple who lived and worked in Mt Pleasant moved to Gibsons and opened this amazing sushi restaurant. Try the avocado gomae and the spicy agedashi tofu.
- Brassica in Lower Gibsons – Local and creative west coast food.
- Smitty’s – An institution!
- Persephone Brewing – The OG brewery on the Sunshine Coast.
- Sunday Cider – Great local ciders, interesting fermentation and flavours, as well as a sweet grassy area to sit in their orchard with a snack (they have food trucks).
- Beachcomber Coffee (2 locations) – Good coffee and donuts.
- Walk all the way along Bonniebrook Beach and back.
- If it’s winter, try out Dakota Ridge – 8 km of snowshoeing and cross country skiing; accessible only with 4 wheel drive and chains, or you can book the shuttle (and rent gear if needed).
- Check out Cliff Gilker Park (near Roberts Creek) – A few waterfalls and nice trails. The outer loop is about 5 km and you can add on to it for a longer run/hike.
- Explore the Sprockids trail system in Langdale, near the ferry.
- Hike Soames Hill – It’s a short but steep summit with great views.
- Golf at Sunshine Coast Golf & Country Club – Not as snooty as it sounds!