This area has a rich and complex history, amazing food, some of the friendliest people, beautiful cities and natural areas, all packed in to a relatively small space.
More from Davis’s travels
Recommendations from Davis
- Hostel Miran in Mostar, Bosnia
Take one of Miran’s tours too.
Try the different types of burek (savory stuffed filo pastry) in each country.
Coffee in the Balkans is similar to Turkish coffee. Each country has a slightly different way of preparing it. Drink rakijato to gain cred with the locals.
- Albania: Don’t miss the beaches. Check out some of the thousands of concrete bunkers across the Albania countryside. In Berat, you can take part in the evening “xhiro,” a tradition where everyone takes to the street for a walk.
- Belgrade and Sarajevo: Learn about history.
- Bosnia and Croatia: Check out the waterfalls. Hike up to the abandoned walls of Kotor to see the best view of the city and the bay.
- Macedonia: Take a trip to Lake Ohrid.